Skip to main content

Guest Blog: Yara's Advocacy Journey

Hi, my name is Yara! My pronouns are she/her/hers, and I'm a global health advocate in school. I'm excited to guest blog with Janvi, and she was generous to write a post on my blog Thrill-seeking for Nerds(who want to change the world). 

I first got involved in advocacy as a little kid, when my mom became a volunteer for RESULTS doing nonpartisan grassroots work to end global poverty. She brought me to meetings and gave me age-appropriate activities to learn about poverty and its various solutions. I was happy to help, but it was hard to wrap my head around the systemic oppression that made these issues a reality.

Then, in 7th grade, my social studies teacher dedicated a month of classes to climate change, with the goal of making us better global citizens. His slideshows were always truthful and evidence-based, but they were intense, and I'd feel sick to my stomach knowing what was coming and that politicians in both parties were doing nothing.

I've lost many hours of sleep worrying - I knew people were dying from pandemics and climate disasters. Now, I know I have the power to do something about those issues.

Using political advocacy to help others and my own state of mind is something I learned while adjusting to new schools as a kid, but lately I've been thinking back to that lesson a lot. Staying positive and clear-headed is a challenge for all of us, with new dangers like COVID-19 and its accompanying economic and societal issues.

I hoped that around this time, I'd be posting about my experiences at the Global Health and Leadership Conference at Johns Hopkins University. That's actually how I met Janvi! We were both added to a group chat of accepted students... and then it was canceled because of COVID-19.

Within a month, everything changed. My school, my interactions with my friends and family, my activities for fun. I have the privilege of living in a house with my family, and my dad is still able to work, so I'm lucky to experience some silver linings like Janvi pointed out and discussed in the comments for "The Science of Well-Being". I also got to spend some quality time with the Christmas cactus in my room, my only classmate for distance learning!

Genus name: Schlumbergera!

But, let's get back to advocacy. Momentum for political movements is grinding to a halt. Is anyone paying attention to the presidential election anymore? Is there a Plan B for the Earth Day climate strikes?

Many people are using this time to reassess what is important in their lives, so I understand that "politics" is one of the first things to get jettisoned. Yet, as I mentioned earlier, taking action for what you believe in can be a very rewarding and empowering experience! In fact, I recently called my governor's office for the very first time to ask for a statewide shelter-in-place order. I've lobbied federal government officials for years, but I'm still trying new things, and that's exciting! It doesn't have to be partisan and divisive. In fact, building bridges is usually more effective.

An in-person visit to my Congresswoman's office when I was a fifth-grader

In 2017, after years of letter-writing campaigns and meetings with members of Congress, the READ Act became law. This strengthened global education programs, especially for girls and refugee children. And last October, grassroots advocacy played a major role in a successful replenishment for the  Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria. World leaders collectively pledged a historic amount of funding! American leadership was instrumental, and that came from leaders in Congress who were encouraged by their everyday constituents.

Not only does advocacy work, but I also believe we have a moral obligation to take on an advocacy journey for others. If we are safe and healthy, many are not. No one needs to be a "voice for the voiceless" since health workers and patients do indeed have powerful voices. In these times, though, we need as many people as possible to get policy-makers' attention and make them aware of the issues everyday people are facing.

So if you are ready to get started, we need all the help we can get! Check out my blog for some ideas or comments on this post; I'm always down to help answer questions. Thanks for reading!

Yara 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Well-Being

Hello! Thank you to everyone who read the first post! And thank you to those who left positive feedback! It is much appreciated! In an attempt to be productive during my time at home, one of the things I have started (apart from this blog) is an online college course titled "The Science of Well-Being".  I think that the appeals of the material world and the constant life pressure to achieve can often be overwhelming and cause us to frequently sacrifice our well-being. Therefore, it can sometimes be helpful to take conscious efforts to improve our well-being, and this is my attempt at that. Although I have only completed one week of this class so far, I have enjoyed it and the new form of introspection it encourages. The class began with me determining my initial levels of happiness to be used as a measure of reference for my growth by the time the class ends. Through the use of the PERMA scale and the Authentic Happiness scale, I was to determine my happiness through self-

Is Language Shaping Our Perception of Gender Roles?

Recently, I was thinking about what is traditionally considered gender bias. Immediately, the gender pay gap and the lack of women in leadership positions came to mind. Although these are incredibly important issues, I wanted to approach a different topic, one that doesn't immediately scream gender bias: linguistics. For this article, I wanted to take a dive into the ways that language can shape our perception of genders and affirm numerous gender stereotypes.  When reviewing the literature on this field, I found a fascinating article on the depth that gender bias permeates linguistic structure, and I wanted to share a couple of the most interesting ideas. To begin, in the English language, there are more words that refer to or describe men but 10 times fewer expressions to refer to promiscuous men than to refer to promiscuous women. The differing availability of words for men and women reaffirms societal attitude and inequality of the perception of female "promiscuity"

The "99% Paradox" and How It Stops Us From Reaching Our Full Potential

Hello,  This is my first post after being monetized which is very exciting! I have always enjoyed writing about the topics that keep me up at night and to even have a large enough audience to be approved by Google AdSense is incredible. So, thank you so much to everyone that reads and finds some value in the blog posts.  Today's post is something that I have been contemplating for a couple of weeks but have been unable to completely wrap my head around and succinctly explain my personal experiences. Finally, today, I saw a YouTube video that coincidentally covered similar ideas and felt like some sort of "sign" that I should just write this post despite initial hesitation. Before I begin, I wanted to express that the "99% paradox" - as I have coined it - does not have empirical evidence to support it, yet I still feel many of these more subjective emotions are something many, if not all of us, encounter.  The basic premise of the 99% paradox lies in receiving a